MOLD TOXICITY TESTING & TREATMENT
Exposure to toxic mold can lead to mold toxicity or mycotoxicosis. Mycotoxicosis is poisoning of the body caused by exposure to mycotoxins that are produced by certain species of mold. Most molds are harmless to the body, but certain species of mold are pathogenic and produce toxic substances called mycotoxins that cause disease in some individuals. Mold toxicity is highly underdiagnosed and is often misdiagnosed as other conditions such as Lyme disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, and SIBO.
Everyone is exposed to some form of mold in their environment daily and most people have the proper antibody and antigen production to address it. But about 25% of the population are reactive to mold and mycotoxins in our environment. So 1 out of 4 people are unable to produce the proper antibodies to mycotoxins. Most of these patients have genetic mutations of HLA and MTHFR (methylation) genes that prevent them from producing the proper antigens and antibodies to mycotoxins.
Mold Toxicity Symptoms:
Weakened Immune System
Mood Disorders (Anxiety & Depression)
Skin issues and rashes
Seizures and Tremors
Tight and Stiff Muscles
Breathing in spores and mycotoxins from our environment is the most common exposure for most humans.
Eating / Ingestion
Estimated that 25% of the world’s food crops are contaminated with mycotoxins. Grains, coffee, nuts, and spices are the most commonly contaminated sources.
This is the least common exposure, but mycotoxins can enter body through the skin, especially if wounds or cuts are present.
Age Management of West Michigan utilizes a combination of traditional body inflammatory markers and a MycoTox profile test to determine the presence of mycotoxins in the body.
A comprehensive Stool Analysis is usually recommended to determine intestinal damage and microbiome imbalances in the GI system caused by mold exposure.